You all know how much we love our plants, we put in hours of hard work so they grow into abundant blooms and foliage. Georgia and I are EXTREMELY house proud and have spent a good part of the last year carefully selecting plants to grow around our yard.
When little Frankie (our Boxer puppy) popped up as available we had her within 12 hours of seeing the ad online. After the first week, I think it’s safe to say she’s home. Whats ours is hers and this certainly includes our plants. Our front porch makes eating the Westringia Grey Box’s we have planted between the laurels like eating fish n chips on the lounge floor. The leaves that have fallen from the pittosporum, Frankie treats like M&M’s and eats them by the dozen.
With this in mind, we started researching what was toxic to Dogs. While we care about our garden, we care about Frankie more and want to make sure she’s free to be the lady of the garden as she pleases while we are at work and can’t reign her in.
Here’s a list of common plants that relate to New Zealand homes that are toxic to dogs.
1. Autumn Crocus
The Autumn Crocus can cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, liver and kidney damage, and even heart arrhythmias. Although the entire plant is considered toxic to dogs, the toxicity is highest in the bulbs of the plant, which are generally located close to the surface – sorry safron lovers!
2. Azalea & Rhododendron
Ingestion of just a few leaves of Azaleas can cause oral irritation with subsequent vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. In severe cases, ingestion can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death. A common one in New Zealand so it may pay to fence these off when flowering.
Also known as Sowbread because pigs love them, the Cyclamen is a common household flowering plant with poisonous properties (i.e., terpenoids) to dogs. It can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, heart abnormalities, seizures and death. We have one of these in my backyard so will be ripping it out and putting some in pots up on sills in the house.
4. Grape Vines
If ingested in large quantities, they may cause GI upset such as vomiting or diarrhoea. The concern would be if there were grapes on the vines that your dog could ingest. Grapes can be very toxic, causing kidney damage or failure after even a small amount is ingested.
A cheerful addition to the garden, but they contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhoea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems. The bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant.
The whole plant is poisonous however the bulb is the most poisonous to plants.
If your pooch has a taste for flowers and plants you can look to isolate or eliminate the plant that could cause them much grief. Always see your vet if you see things like a change in skin colour, itchiness, fatigue & excessive saliva.